2020 WON CALIFORNIA TUNA JACKPOT RULES
- It is the sole responsibility of the participating anglers, captains and crews to know and abide by the tournament’s rules. By entering the California Tuna Jackpot they acknowledge the above and agree to all rules.
- All decisions by the tournament directors and advisory board are final. Decisions on rules interpretation requested by teams or team members will be reviewed and made only by the tournament director and are final. WON reserves the right to change/modify rules at any time. WON reserves the right to deny any team’s or individual’s entry.
- The official radio channel for the California Tuna Jackpot is channel 28.
- The tournament director reserves the right to alter starting and finishing times to coincide with weather, tides and probability of better fishing conditions.
- No more than six people are allowed on any participating boat.
- The team entry fee is $400 with a minimum of two and up to four anglers per team. Additional team members over 4 are $100 each. Captains and any crew are considered anglers.
- Fishing from kayaks or personal watercraft is not allowed.
- All teams that have not pre-registered must check in at Anglers Choice, Ken’s Custom Reel, Hogan’s Tackle or Sav-On Tackle between 2:00 PM to 8:00 PM on Friday, Aug 7 to be allowed to depart.
- Fish may not be removed from your boat prior to weigh-in, and all team members must be on the boat when presenting fish to the weigh-in at the San Diego Marlin Club dock on Saturday August 8th between 4:30 P.M. and 6:30 P.M.
- Boats may depart from any location to start the tournament. All boats must weigh-in at the designated S.D. Marlin Club assigned tournament dock.
- Tournament waters are California and Mexican waters. All boats are responsible for proper permits necessary based on water intended to fish.
- All California Fish & Wildlife regulations and U.S. Coast Guard regulations must be adhered to.
- Lines in at 4:00 A.M August 8 and lines out by 4:00 P.M. August 8. All boats weighing fish must enter San Diego Bay and pass Ballast Point by 6:00 P.M. to be eligible to weigh their fish.
- Eligible species are bluefin tuna, yellowfin tuna, bigeye and yellowtail. The three largest single tuna win the top 3 general entry payouts. Only the biggest tuna caught by a team will count towards the TOP 3 Tuna prize payouts. Prize money is paid for 1st through 3rd place overall largest tuna of the one day event.
- Teams may bring up to one fish to the weigh scales (one tuna or one yellowtail or both), provided they are entered in the yellowtail optional jackpot.
- It is the team’s sole responsibility to determine their biggest fish. Fish are weighed only once. The weigh in area will be set up at the San Diego Marlin Club docks. Weigh-in is on Saturday, August 8from 4:30 PM to 6:30 P.M. or until all waiting teams have been logged in at the scale.
- On Saturday Aug 8, all teams that do not weigh-in fish or attend the awards ceremony will need to notify tournament control via VHF channel 28 that they are safe. (Tournament control channel is 28).
- All decisions by the tournament director are final, and he has the right to refuse any signups, and the right to disqualify any team for verbal or physical abuse of anyone present, or breaking the rules.
- In the event of a tie in any overall or optional pool the two teams will split the winnings equally for that divisional award. More than two teams tying will result in an equal split for all teams.
- All teams who win money are subject to a possible lie detector test after the event, and all monies will be withheld from any affected teams until the results of the test are known.
- Overall, $200 of the $400 entry fee, and 80 percent of the daily jackpots will be paid back to anglers, and 5% of the optionals collected will be paid to the Make-A-Wish San Diego foundation. The team that catches the biggest tuna wins 70 percent of the total cash in the entry pool. Second largest tuna wins 20 percent of the cash in the entry pool. Third largest tuna wins 10 percent of the cash in the entry pool.
- If there are no Tuna weighed in for the general entry pot, Yellowtail will become the default fish for determining the top 3 teams. If there are no Tuna or Yellowtail weighed in for the optional jackpots, the option money will be paid back to teams minus 20%. If there are no fish brought to the scales on August 8th, the general entry payout pot will transfer over to the following years CA Tuna Jackpot held on August 7th, 2021.
- All team anglers must sign a Release of Liability and must be aware that the dangers of fishing in boats are inherent, and that all decisions concerning safety are personal choices. It is up to all teams to adhere to all safety regulations, and to make proper personal choices.
- All fish submitted for weighing must be accompanied by a cell phone video. You may be asked to provide this video as evidence of your catch. Teams not producing video at weigh in may be disqualified. Video must show the entire fish and be recorded at the time of the catch, once the fish has been landed, and prior to the fish being unhooked.
- Mutilated fish in which the ability of the fish to fight has been compromised will not be weighed in. The tournament director will make the final decision, with no protests allowed since it is a visual judgment call.
- Teams will not be paid on site due the potential large nature for optionals. Team captains must notify WON regarding the team payout break down per boat and team member prior to the event starting.
- All verbal protests and supporting evidence must be presented to the tournament director(s) immediately upon returning to San Diego Marlin Club, followed by a written protest no more than 30 minutes after the verbal protest. Protests must be filed with WON staff at the “official” weigh station location. Evidence will be ruled on by both tournament director and the staff advisory board. Any verbal or physical abuse or threats from entrants toward Jackpot staff is cause for a team’s disqualification.
2020 CALIFORNIA TUNA JACKPOT REGISTRATION & TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
COST: $400 per team of up to four. $600 per team of six. Minimum of two and up to six anglers per team.
Teams may register online at wonews.com by clicking the Events tab. Options may be sent in by check no later than July 24. Options may also be sent by wire transfer or dropped off to our San Clemente office. Any team member changes must be completed before August 7 by 8:00 P.M. Teams registering by Friday, July 17 are eligible to win a Yamaha EF1000iS Generator worth $800.
AUGUST 7 CHECK IN AND ONSITE REGISTRATION: Multiple Locations Available
Friday, August 7 – 2:00 P.M. – 8:00 P.M. Hogan’s Tackle in Dana Point (34320 Pacific Coast Hwy, Dana Point, CA 92629) (949) 493-3528
Friday, August 7 – 2:00 P.M. – 8:00 P.M. Sav-On Tackle in Santa Fe Springs (9917 Orr And Day Rd, Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670) (562) 864-2911
Friday, August 7 – 2:00 P.M. – 8:00 P.M. Ken’s Custom Reel in Oceanside (1351 N Harbor Dr, Oceanside, CA 92054) (760) 967-7335
Friday, August 7 – 2:00 P.M. – 8:00 P.M. Anglers Choice in San Diego (1910 Rosecrans St, San Diego, CA 92106) (619) 223-2324
Teams can register during “Check In” at any location, but ONLY CASH will be accepted onsite! All optionals will be CASH ONLY and all optional payments must be made onsite if not paid already.
OFFICIAL START: Saturday, August 8th, 4:00 A.M. until lines out at 4:00 P.M.
WEIGH IN: Saturday, August 8th San Diego Marlin Club, 4:30 P.M. – 6:30 P.M.
AWARDS CEREMONY & RAFFLES: Saturday, August 8th, 7:00 P.M. – 7:30 P.M.
For more information contact Tournament Director Billy Egan at (949) 366-0248