Western Outdoor News has been the leader in California for outdoor enthusiasts for the past 72 plus years, and we pride ourselves on the ability to both supply our readers with the best outdoor content and reports for both their fishing and hunting needs on a weekly basis. WON also leads the market in unique events and tournaments like none other in the industry, and the company is pleased to announce a new tuna tournament years in the making, the WON California Tuna Jackpot.
WON is excited to be working with the San Diego Marlin Club yet again for what we feel is going to be another amazing fun filled fishing tournament for years to come. Once again our sponsors will be heavily involved and ready to doll out thousands of dollars in gear for the first installment of the Ca Yellowtail Jackpot.
The format for the event is based on teams of 2 and up to 6 anglers max, will compete for the top 3 largest yellowtail caught during the competition on Saturday, June 11th, will win our top 3 general entry payouts. Based on 50 teams we will be paying out $10,000 for 1st, $5000 to 2nd and $3000 to the 3rd place team. The California Yellowtail Jackpot will be a one day tournament (lines in at 6:00 A.M. – lines out at 5:00 P.M. on June 11th) where the 3 teams with the heaviest 3 yellowtail are in the money.
The WON California Yellowtail Jackpot entry fee is $400 per team of four. You may have less than four team members, but there must be a minimum of two members on each boat. Teams may have up to six maximum team members. No more than 6 people are allowed on any tournament boat during tournament hours, and all people on the boat must be on the registered team. Each team member over four is $100 additional for each member. The California Yellowtail Jackpot will have optional yellowtail jackpots available for teams interested in boosting their chances at big money payouts. The event also offers teams tuna optionals, as we all know there should be some roaming the same grounds as the yellowtail during our event. Please click on the entry form for more details on our available jackpot options.
Teams are encouraged to sign up as early as possible with at least their general team entry, so we can make sure all team members are registered and have completed the necessary paperwork to be eligible for team earnings. Teams may send entry by mail with options included. Each team member must complete and send back an event waiver form prior to the start of the event. Options will not be available online and must be paid by check, wire transfer or money order in advance or at Angler’s Choice (1910 Rosecrans St, San Diego, CA 92106) on June 10th from 1:00 P.M. to 7:00 P.M. Those teams that have completed their team registration requirements prior to June 3rd, will receive their team packets in the mail prior to the event start date.
Once a team has completed their registration process and has been cleared by WON, registered teams may launch at any San Diego launch facility of their choice, and begin their journey to “Shotgun” launch scheduled for Safe Light (approximately 6:00 AM) at the inner channel buoy marker. Tournament fishing times are June 11th from 6:00 A.M to 5:00 P.M. All tournament fish “MUST” be presented to our official weigh station by boat at the San Diego Marlin Club with all team members on board. The weigh-in will be held at the S.D Marlin Club dock between 6:00 P.M. and 7:00 P.M on June 11th. All teams must be inside the Ballast Point landmark entry of the bay by 6:30 P.M. to be eligible to weigh their catch. Teams may not fish for target species until lines-in at 4:00 A.M, but may make bait prior to lines in.
The California Yellowtail Jackpot will commence at 7:00 P.M. at the S.D. Marlin Club parking lot with our event sponsored raffles and awards presentation for the top 3 teams and optional winners.
Don’t miss out on this first annual event during yet another amazing West Coast fishing season. WON looks forward to growing this event for years to come!
For more information contact Tournament Director Billy Egan at (949) 366-0248 email@example.com or check out our California Yellowtail Jackpot FaceBook page.
2022 WON CA YELLOWTAIL JACKPOT RULES
- It is the sole responsibility of the participating anglers, captains and crews to know and abide by the tournament’s rules. By entering the California Tuna Jackpot they acknowledge the above and agree to all rules.
- All decisions by the tournament directors and advisory board are final. Decisions on rules interpretation requested by teams or team members will be reviewed and made only by the tournament director and are final. WON reserves the right to change/modify rules at any time. WON reserves the right to deny any team’s or individual’s entry.
- The official radio channel for the California Tuna Jackpot is channel 65 or you may send text messages to 949-290-0582
- The tournament director reserves the right to alter starting and finishing times to coincide with weather, tides and probability of better fishing conditions.
- No less than two and no more than six people are allowed on any participating boat.
- The team entry fee is $400 with a minimum of two and up to four anglers per team. Additional team members over 4 are $100 each. Captains and any crew are considered anglers.
- Fishing from kayaks or personal watercraft is not allowed.
- All teams that have not completed pre-registered must check in at Anglers Choice in San Diego June 10th from 2:00 P.M. to 7:00 P.M. to receive their wrist bands and sign waiver forms.
- Fish may not be removed from your boat prior to weigh-in, and all team members must be on the boat when presenting fish to the weigh-in at the San Diego Marlin Club dock on Saturday June 11th between 6:00 P.M. and 7:00 P.M.
- Boats MUST depart from any location to start the tournament. All boats must weigh-in at the designated S.D. Marlin Club assigned tournament dock.
- Tournament waters are California and Mexican waters. All boats are responsible for proper permits necessary based on waters that team intends to fish.
- All California Fish & Wildlife regulations and U.S. Coast Guard regulations must be adhered to.
- Lines in at 6:00 A.M June 11th and lines out by 5:00 P.M. June 11th. All boats weighing fish must enter San Diego Bay and pass Ballast Point by 6:30 P.M. to be eligible to weigh their fish.
- Eligible species are yellowtail, bluefin tuna, yellowfin tuna, and bigeye tuna. The three largest heaviest yellowtail combined will win the top 3 general entry payouts. Only the 3 largest yellowtail caught by a team will count towards the TOP 3 CA Yellowtail general entry prize pool payouts. Prize money is paid for 1st through 3rd place overall 3 heaviest yellowtail of the one day event.
- Teams may bring up to 3 yellowtail to the weigh scales (three yellowtail or one tuna), provided they are entered in the tuna optional jackpot.
- It is the team’s sole responsibility to determine their 3 biggest yellowtail. Fish are weighed only once. The weigh in area will be set up at the San Diego Marlin Club docks. Weigh-in is on Saturday June 11th from 6:00 P.M. to 7:00 P.M. or until all waiting teams have been logged in at the scale. Teams bust be in line by 7:00 P.M. to have their catch weighed.
- On Saturday June 11th, all teams that do not weigh-in fish or attend the awards ceremony will need to notify tournament control via text to 949-290-0582. (Tournament control channel is 65).
- All decisions by the tournament director are final, and he has the right to refuse any signups, and the right to disqualify any team for verbal or physical abuse of anyone present, or breaking the rules.
- In the event of a tie in any overall or optional pool the two teams will split the winnings equally for that divisional award. More than two teams tying will result in an equal split for all teams.
- All teams who win money are subject to a possible lie detector test after the event, and all monies will be withheld from any affected teams until the results of the test are known. Placement checks will be mailed out the week following the event. Teams must determine and notify tournament staff prior to the event on how the funds will be distributed.
- The team that catches the 3 biggest (heaviest) yellowtails combined wins $10,000 in Suzuki Bucks. The second 3 biggest (heaviest) yellowtails combined win $5000 in cash and the third 3 biggest (heaviest) combined yellowtails win $3000 in cash based on 50 boats. 5% of the optionals collected will be paid to the Make-A-Wish San Diego foundation after the event.
- If there are no yellowtail weighed in for the general entry pot, the teams single largest tuna will become the default fish for determining the top 3 general entry team winners. If there are no yellowtail or tuna weighed in for the optional jackpots, the option money will be paid back to teams minus 20%. If there are no fish brought to the scales on June 11th, the general entry payout pot will transfer over to the following years CA Yellowtail Jackpot held in June 2023.
- All team anglers must sign a Release of Liability and must be aware that the dangers of fishing in boats are inherent, and that all decisions concerning safety are personal choices. It is up to all teams to adhere to all safety regulations, and to make proper personal choices.
- All fish submitted for weighing must be accompanied by a cell phone video. You may be asked to provide this video as evidence of your catch. Teams not producing video at weigh in may be disqualified. Video must show the entire fish and be recorded at the time of the catch (landing of said fish), and prior to the fish being unhooked.
- Mutilated fish in which the ability of the fish to fight has been compromised will not be weighed in. The tournament director will make the final decision, with no protests allowed since it is a visual judgment call.
- Teams will not be paid on site due the potential large nature for optionals. Team captains must notify WON regarding the team payout break down per boat and team member prior to the event starting.
- All verbal protests and supporting evidence must be presented to the tournament director(s) immediately upon returning to San Diego Marlin Club, followed by a written protest no more than 30 minutes after the verbal protest. Protests must be filed with WON staff at the “official” weigh station location. Evidence will be ruled on by both tournament director and the staff advisory board. Any verbal or physical abuse or threats from entrants toward Jackpot staff is cause for a team’s disqualification.
2022 CA YELLOWTAIL JACKPOT REGISTRATION & TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
COST: $400 per team of up to four. $600 per team of six. Minimum of two and up to six anglers per team.
Teams may register online at wonews.com by clicking the Events tab. Options may be paid online or sent in by check no later than June 3rd. Options may also be sent by wire transfer or dropped off to our San Clemente office. Any team member changes must be completed before June 10th by 7:00 P.M. Once WON has received all entry, options money and team waivers, your team can miss the registration on June 10th.
June 10th CHECK IN AND ONSITE REGISTRATION: 2:00 PM to 7:00 PM
Anglers Choice – 1910 Rosecrans St, San Diego, CA 92106
Teams can register during “Check In”, but ONLY CASH will be accepted onsite! All optionals will be CASH ONLY and all optional payments must be made onsite if not paid already.
OFFICIAL START: Saturday, June 11th, 6:00 A.M. (safe light) Shotgun Launch, until lines out at 5:00 P.M. June 11th, 2022.
WEIGH IN: Saturday, June 11th San Diego Marlin Club, 6:00 P.M. – 7:00 P.M.
AWARDS CEREMONY & RAFFLES: Saturday, June 11th, 7:30 P.M.
For more information contact Tournament Director Billy Egan at (949) 366-0248