Fresh off the heals of our successful 2nd Annual Troutcast at Lake Cuyamaca, where one lucky angler took home a $25,000 cash prize for catching the only tagged fish out of 25 tagged trout that could earn him the dough! It was awesome to have Suzuki Marine step up and offer this opportunity to our Troutcast angler. So, we figured, why not bring that same excitement and Suzuki cash to the 40th anniversary Striper Derby this year!
Suzuki Marine will be offering our Striper Derby ’22 anglers the opportunity of a lifetime at this year’s event. If the single largest striped bass in the event caught and presented to the scales by any teams weight matches the the last 2 digits (Example: #25.26) of a predetermined set of numbers, which are sealed in an envelope, then that angler who caught the fish will win $40,000 cash, sponsored by Suzuki Marine. So, get signed up today for your chance at tons of sponsored prizes and a grip of cash! But that’s not all….
Suzuki ‘Spin to Win’ cash prizes at 40th annual Lake Havasu Striper Derby, May 14-15
Thanks to Suzuki Marine, Western Outdoor News’ 40th anniversary anglers will not only have a chance to win $40,000 in the “Match for Cash” big fish money sponsorship, but anglers will also have a chance to “Spin to Win” the $3,000 up for grabs in the new Suzuki cash wheel game. During Sunday’s awards show, WON staffers will draw anglers’ raffle numbers randomly during the promotion period. If you are randomly drawn, you will have the opportunity to spin the wheel once. Whatever you happen to land on will be paid to you on the spot. Tournament staff will continue to draw raffle numbers until the entire $3,000 is awarded. This is just another great way for Suzuki and WON to show Striper Derby anglers and teams that we appreciate their participation and years of support for this fun family event.
On each spin, the wheel will have to make TWO full rotations before landing on the awarded amount. As anglers are awarded, staffers may need to remove the larger cash amount options until the exact amount left is awarded. The tournament director oversees awarding the amount won, and is also the last word on any and all decisions made.
Click links below for 2022 Itinerary and Rules and Entry Form
*Limited to the first 150 teams
2021 WON STRIPER DERBY CHAMPS, Orange County anglers Kyle and Jerry Thergesen
What’s happening at the 2022 Striper Derby?
- Big Fish High Roller’s optional: Throw in an additional $100 on top of your all-inclusive $275 team entry fee and be included in the new High Roller’s optional for a shot at a big payday for the three heaviest striped bass in the division.
- General Big Fish payouts down to 5th place: Whereas in previous years the general Big Fish payouts went to the 3 biggest overall fish at Striper Derby, payouts will now go out to the anglers catching the 5 largest fish of the event.
- Multiple teams on one boat: Back again for 2022, more than one team may fish the Derby from the same boat – including but not limited to one-angler “teams,” which will also now be allowed at Striper Derby.
- One-division team competition: Striper Derby will consist of one, lone division including every registered team, with prizes and trophies going to the top-10 finishers of the event.
- All Teams Must weigh-In by boat: All tournament fish must be presented to the scales via boat ONLY at London Bridge Resort courtesy docks. No walk-in or drive-in fish will be accepted by tournament staff!
- All “BIG FISH” submissions: All big fish presented for top 5 Big Fish prizes or money, must be filmed at time of landing said fish. Cell phone video proof of that fish must be accompanied to verify the time and day the fish was landed. Video proof is required before the award show begins.
Western Outdoor News and the city of Lake Havasu are proud to be hosting the 40th anniversary of the Lake Havasu Striper Derby this coming May 14-15, 2022.
The Striper Derby festivities kick off on Friday afternoon May 13th at the team check-in, held at Anderson Toyota at 6510 Showplace Ave in Lake Havasu City. Anderson Toyota will be hosting all anglers and family members at a special appreciation BBQ during registration hours from 4 pm until 7 pm. BBQ starts at 5:00 PM. Teams will check in during this time, and they may purchase additional event T-shirts, make partner changes and enter the blind bogie and big fish options if not already entered. Late sign-ups will also be taken at this time. After check-in, a brief Captain’s Meeting will take place to go over event rules and weekend activities for first time entrants.
The entry fee is $175 per team and it includes your basic entry and chance to win tackle prizes, trophies and many other certificates, including your Striper Derby hat and T-shirts for both team members. But most people enter the great options, which are $40 each day for the the blind bogeys. The General Big Fish Option is $20 per team and goes into the pool to be paid out to the five biggest stripers caught during the tournament based on 1st (35%), 2nd (20%) 3rd (20%) 4th (15%) 5th (10%). So for only $275 your team is “ALL IN.” This year there is the “HIGH ROLLER” entry, which puts those choosing to lay down another $100 into a separate TOP 3 Big Fish pool to be paid back on to the angler with the 1st (50%), 2nd (30%), 3rd (20%) biggest fish based on the number of anglers entered into the pool. The ever popular “BLIND BOGEY” contest running on both Saturday and Sunday is a fun way to win some random cash at the event . The $40 entry cost for each day goes into the blind bogey fund and gives the team a chance at winning a share of the random blind bogey weights. So whatever sized striper you catch, bring it in and weigh it and you might just be a cash winner, too.
Mark the date for this year’s event on your calendar and plan to attend the largest, most lucrative striped bass fishing event in the United States. The sun, fun, and festivities await you and your family.
You can sign up for this event now by clicking on the links at the upper right of this page, or call Striper Derby Director Billy Egan at (949) 290-0582. See you at Lake Havasu in May!